Vandercook High School, Jackson, Michigan

That's about as close as I can get to my old high school, I lived in Jackson for a half year back in 1995. Today, I looked around and found their website as well as my first driving instructor, Chuck Miller. I was in the last year of exchange students who were allowed to take the driving test in the US and drive for a year in Germany - that's lots of driving experience for $12. The superintendent also looks familiar, but except them I didn't find anybody else. I can remember that a Brasilian and a French student (Cedric?) went to the same school that year, I wonder what they're doing now. I can remember one thing though - a girl I used to hang around with at school asked me whether we have TV sets at home (yes, and we have even color television sets), fridges and .. the last one I forgot, but it was funny, my (cassettes!) walkman - made in Japan - was thinner than the ones they used at that time. The overall knowledge about Europe was focused on America's role in World War II, but when I think back about history education in my school in Germany, we had three years about WWII and the Holocaust and next to nothing about the time after 1945. Then again, German pupils have the advantage that American TV, music, movies and other aspects of culture regularily swap over to Europe, so usually they are informed about what's going on on the other side of the pond.

For the curious of mind, Jackson is the birth place of the Republican Party in 1854, they held their first state convention there.

Google Maps - Vandercook High School, Jackson, Michigan
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment